History

Practising law in Hawke's Bay for over a century

George Sainsbury commenced practice in Napier in 1875. He was joined in partnership in 1882 by Francis Logan and in 1900 by Edward Williams. The firm’s present title was first used in 1900 and has been retained ever since.

The firm has always practised from its present site on the corner of Tennyson Street and Cathedral Lane with the exception of a few months when the building was restored in Art Deco style by Architects Finch and Westerholm following the 1931 Hawke’s Bay earthquake.

The firm presently has 9 partners. Magnus Macfarlane joined the partnership in 1978, Gerry Sullivan in 1983, Stephen Greer in 1984, Andrew Wares in 1996, Adrian Barclay in 2003 and Nathan Gray in 2005. Lara Blomfield, Lauren Hibberd and Lincoln Reid joined the partnership in 2013. 

Stuart Webster retired from the partnership at the end of 2014.


history1

book

history3

Our People

Our Napier based business lawyers, solicitors and experienced support team are available to assist you in all matters of corporate and commercial law, property and litigation.

Our law firm is based in Napier, but we also provide services  to those in Hastings, Waipukurau, Wairoa, the greater Hawke’s Bay and internationally.

Find out more about our Napier based lawyers, solicitors and wider team